The process of software testing is a complex one and while implementing its miscellaneous techniques, methodologies, and types the team of testers can come across numerous challenges, limitations, and issues, which make the process of testing time consuming, difficult, and challenging. A few of these challenges encountered by the team during the software testing life cycle are:
- Complete Testing is Impossible: As stated above testing is a complicated process and as the software is made of heterogeneous components, testing it thoroughly is quite impossible. Even after rigorous and in-depth testing there can be issues in software implementation, among other things.
- Use of Tools: Software testing can be implemented manually or with the assistance of automated tools. However, due to the availability of several effective tools in the market, deciding when and which tool to use during the process can be challenging for the team.
- Setting the Right Process: This is an extremely important and challenging aspect of the process. The organization responsible for testing the software should set-up an effective testing process that can accurately detect all the bugs and defects in the software.
- Lack of Proper Communication: Lack of communication between software developers and testers makes the process of testing more challenging as issues and defects cannot be shared with the development team effectively, which delays their rectification.
- Incomplete Resources: Knowledgeable and skilful testers cannot perform their best if the resources for testing, such as requirements specification documents, tools, defect reports, etc., are not missing or incomplete. Moreover, it delays the process and makes testing a component of the software difficult.
- Test Coverage: To ensure that the software product performs uniformly everywhere, it is important for the team to develop an effective and efficient testing strategy that can offer them full coverage. However, covering different geographies and configurations becomes somewhat challenging for the team.
- Insufficient Knowledge or Skills: Insufficient or inaccurate knowledge of the testers makes the process of testing extremely challenging and time consuming. Moreover, this prevents them from developing a software product that has impeccable performance, quality, and functionality.
- Incomplete or No Reporting/Documentation: Creating detailed logs and reports is a vital part of software testing life cycle that is usually overlooked by testers to save time and efforts. However, this later becomes a hurdle, as it prohibits the testers from communicating important details about the process to the development team.
Other challenges encountered by the team during the software testing life cycle are listed here.
Best Practices In Software Testing
Any process, whether complicated or simple, can be performed accurately by adopting their best practises. Similarly, the effectiveness and accuracy of software testing can also be enhanced with the help of the following tips:
- Analyze: Analyze and evaluate the testing process and their results thoroughly as it helps validate the efficiency of the software.
- Prioritize: Critical bugs and defects should be prioritized and tested before others, as they can have a greater impact on the software.
- Validate Effective Communication: Communication, whether written or verbal, should be encouraged throughout the process. This helps avoid confusion among team members and promotes smooth functioning of the whole process.
- Automate Tasks: Tasks and processes that do not require constant attention of the testers can be automated to get better results as well as to increase the speed of the process.
- Ensure Proper Test Documentation: If testers want to ensure the accuracy of testing, it is vital for them to prepare proper reports and documents throughout the process. This helps them monitor all the testing activities thoroughly and ensure their efficiency.
- Re-test & Verify: The quality of the software increases tenfold by retesting it again for defects. Hence, testers should re-test each test case to verify their quality.
- Go Beyond Required Testing: Testers shouldn’t be limited to the requested or required testing, as a some change in one component of the software can impact the harmony of the whole software. So, it is best to test the software thoroughly to validate its accuracy.