Looker is a cloud-based Business Intelligence (BI) tool that helps you explore, share, and visualize data that drive better business decisions.
Looker is now a part of the Google Cloud Platform. It allows anyone in your business to analyze and find insights into your datasets quickly.
Looker makes it incredibly easy to build a data exploration platform that makes your data accessible in a meaningful, intuitive way for your entire organization.
Looker uses Data Modelling Language (DML), and it includes a predefined framework. With Looker, you can analyze data in a very efficient and helpful manner.
You can easily connect to multiple data sources, and you can build customized dashboards, KPI dashboards, etc., using Looker.
Looker provides tools to power myriad data experiences, from modern BI and embedded analytics to integrating workflows and custom applications.
Regardless, where your data resides, Looker allows you to access the most up-to-date version of your company’s data. It’s a one-stop solution for BI, visualization, analytics, and data management.
Do you want to get certified and build your career in Looker? Then enrol in “Looker Training” this course will help you to achieve excellence in this domain.
Features of Looker
1. Break down barriers to insight
You can get valuable insights that you need by filtering to granular slices of data from the dashboard in a few clicks. Furthermore, you can initiate data in every conversation possible with the ability to find the solutions you need on the fly, right from within Slack.
2. Increase performance and optimize costs
With Looker’s powerful features, you can improve performance, optimize costs, and manage enterprise-scale deployments better.
3. Build better data products faster
With prebuilt UI components, you can unlock new types of data experiences and speed up development workflows. At a low cost, Looker improves your product’s competitive advantage and boosts revenue growth.
Apart from this, we have many other new features. A few of them are listed below:
- Integrated end-to-end multi-cloud platform: You can perform data analysis and visualization across Google Cloud, AWS, Azure, and on-premise databases.
- Common data: You can operate business intelligence for anyone with powerful data modelling that abstracts underlying data at any scale and creates a standard data model for the entire organization.
- Embedded data experiences: Looker supports embedded analytics with rapid value to time and customization.
- Augmented analytics: Augment business intelligence from Looker with leading-edge machine learning, AI, and advanced analytic capabilities built into the Google Cloud platform.
- Tailored data applications: Create data-centric apps from supply chain logistics to sales support across various industries with embedded machine learning and interactive data visualizations.
These are the steps you will need to follow to install Looker for a customer-hosted Looker Deployment:
1. Looker Installation
- Add Looker to your server
- Looker configuration startup options
- SSL certificate configuration for proper HTTPS
- Forward port for a cleaner URL
- Enable Looker support to access your instance
- Set up Looker monitoring and backups
- Ensure that Looker can access important services
- Install rendering software
- Check whether your Looker instance can hold the Looker Action Hub
- Allowing secure database access
2. Configuring database for Looker
3. Connecting Looker to your database
4. Testing database connections
5. Configuring Looker sign-in options
Looker Alternatives and Competitors
Top competitors to Looker for analytics and business intelligence platforms are Tableau, Qlik, Sisense, MicroStrategy, PowerBI, etc.