We all have seen sci-fi stories that depicted machines looking and acting like humans, taking over the world and doing the unimaginable.
Although these were just figments of the imagination of the writers and directors, science has been working very hard to make those a reality.
Interestingly, they are almost a reality now! Robots that can converse with humans just like any average person would and one’s that can also identify emotions, are finally here. And the central piece of technology that is responsible for this is called Artificial Intelligence.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
The term artificial intelligence was first coined by McCarthy in 1956, and as the name suggests, it is concerned with putting intelligence in an artificial or lifeless object. Intelligence refers to the ability of an object to understand its surroundings and act accordingly without any external help.
As we deal with inanimate objects, we cannot expect the object to inherit intelligence from its genesis. Still, its intelligence or the power to assess and judge is provided by humans using various technically advanced ways.
The word intelligence is a very controversial topic, and no parameter defines intelligence.
It is more of a qualitative term than a quantitative term. In the current generation, however, artificial intelligence refers to the branch of science responsible for making intelligent machines, specifically computers.
The main aim of artificial intelligence is to predict what people do better than computers and then make the computer perform those tasks at a similar level as humans, if not better.
What is the goal of AI?
The main notable goals of AI are logical reasoning and deduction, knowledge representation, natural language processing (NLP), learning, and manipulating things. The ultimate goal that AI-based development companies have is to achieve human-level intelligence.
AI’s influence can be primarily seen in Machine Learning, Neural Networks, and Deep Learning. Today, AI is a rapidly growing field, expected to reach a market value of $267 billion by 2027.
Machine learning uses its power of recognizing patterns and group data to train itself to predict the outcome of future events based on previous outcomes. The neural network takes its inspiration from the human nervous system and uses it to process multiple data types at a time.
Deep learning comes into play after one is done using neural networks to process a large amount of input data; deep learning helps predict what a group of input data might combine to do. These are all based on AI and are helping to make machines smarter and wiser every passing day.
What is Turing Test in Artificial Intelligence?
One of the main goals of Artificial Intelligence is to make a computer as intelligent as a human being. But even if that happens, how will we understand if this is comparable to human intelligence?
Turing Test is one such test that helps identify if the system is as intelligent as a human being. And according to the test, the parameter is that the machine should have a proper human-like conversation with another human. For this, it needs to possess the following features:
- Natural Language Processing for proper conversation
- A profound knowledge memory
- Power to give logical reasoning to different issues by drawing conclusions using the stored information.
- Machine learning to tackle varying conditions.
What are the different types of AI?
Although AI is a massive topic but based on its use cases, it can be classified into three categories. They are,
- Weak AI: It is also called Narrow AI; its name is such because it focuses on only one work at a time, and it lacks self-awareness. An everyday tech that uses this is a virtual assistant. A virtual assistant consists of various such weak AI technologies that perform only a few functions and gives some predefined replies.
- Strong AI: Also referred to as True AI, it can provide human-level intelligence to computers. It is a field of active research as this tech is still not commercially available. This is the level of machine intelligence that is depicted in science fiction movies like Chappie and iRobot.
- Artificial Superintelligence: This is the kind of intelligence that is only a theory now and has not been realized yet. But, according to accomplished scientists and technologists like Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk, this has the potential to replace humans from the face of the earth.
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence:
Artificial Intelligence has massively helped us in our daily lives, and its contribution is only going to increase day by day. The advantages of artificial intelligence are:
- Reduction of human error
- No rest needed, so improved work efficiency
- Faster decision-making ability
- Unbiased system
- Highly secure and cannot be easily manipulated externally
There are a lot of sectors where artificial intelligence technologies are replacing human beings as an unbiased, nearly perfect alternative. However, many think that they are going to take away jobs from many people, but they are also indirectly opening up immense opportunities for their development.
Prerequisites of Artificial Intelligence:
Artificial intelligence is a very lucrative career option at this point in time, and many people are going towards that field. It is guaranteed to become such a resource that every company will be required to have in one way or the other.
57% of Indian companies are currently looking for AI enthusiasts and are providing about a 60-70% salary hike for those who are shifting to such departments. So, to get started with AI, one should have a basic idea about the following topics,
- Mathematics, especially topics like calculus, statistics, and probability
- Coding using languages like Python and Java
- Data analytics
- Developing logics and writing algorithms
AI is the Future!
Artificial intelligence, if implemented correctly, is going to be of immense use for mankind. It will make lives easier and will secure our future in a lot of ways. AI will help countries and governments in making efficient policies and laws that will improve the economic condition of a nation.
Lastly, in the near future, Artificial intelligence will also help in creating millions of new jobs all over the world and will encourage people to get involved in newer technologies.
Biography:- Harikrishna Kundariya, a marketer, developer, IoT, ChatBot & Blockchain savvy, designer, co-founder, Director of eSparkBiz Technologies. His 8+ experience enables him to provide digital solutions to new start-ups based on IoT and ChatBot.